This is exactly what I was looking for, and once setup, exceeded my expectations! 5 stars all around.
I bought the unit with a cable. Shipping was very quick (with tracking), follow-up and communication was excellent. As others have said, getting into the grey box was VERY challenging and I finally decided to go for it - and that's what it took. Also, would help to know what is where inside as you start working on it - that's what kept me from using a Dremel. However, once I replaced the old board (had to program for Bekant - even the small one) it worked a charm. I'm a little OCD so got a quick response on how to wipe the memory settings (hold the down button while plugging in - erases Bekant setup also) as I didn't get them "quite" right the first time and now have the perfect sitting and standing positions memorized (2 & 3).
Highly recommended! This completed the Ikea desk for me.
Outstanding product. I purchased the assembled board and cable. The hardest part was getting the back off of the control panel. It took me 10mintues to unscrew the control panel pry off the cover and then install and cable the megadesk board. I have a few colleagues that also use the Bekant Sit/Stand desk and I will be recommending this to them wholeheartedly.
Shipped in one day, worked upon arrival. Hardest part was getting the plastic casing off but it wasn't impossible. Took my cheap sitting/standing to the next level. Was about to pay $1,000 for a new desk with the same functionality. The issue was that the desk was totally fine, I just wanted memory function. Can't thank you enough for making these!
The opening of the grey plastic enclosure was very difficult. I finally cut open the top cover (hidden below the table when installed) and only then managed to insert a screw driver and pry open the joints around the edge.
The controller didn't work right away. I had to toggle the firmware by Recalling Memory 16 (pushing down 16 times) twice (back and forth). Now all works fine.
I've been wanting a replacement controller for this desk that had presets since I bought it. It was a project that was always on my "[probably never going] to do" list, so I'm glad someone else beat me to it.
I just got this installed ~15 minutes ago. Everything works exactly as described. I got the fully assembled version plus the fully assembled cable. Once I managed to get the plastics open it all went into place very easily. The extra cable was clearly marked with polarity, so that was easy to get right and the ribbon cable could only fit on way. The lid kinda snapped back into place (it's held against the desk anyway so it's not going anywhere). I screwed it back on and plugged it in and it just worked.
The "UI" is very intuitive. Although I don't know that you're *really* going to want to be pressing the button 10+ times to get higher preset numbers. That doesn't really affect me since I only need 2, "sitting" and "standing".
Getting the plastics open was quite a chore. A little bit more direction than "pry it apart" would have been helpful. So, a couple notes: I wasn't able to pry just at the seam to get it open. If you look at the seller's pictures, you can see he cut out a notch from the rear side. I ended up cutting a square out of a corner of the top with a hobby knife so the hole would be completely hidden when reassembled. It looks to me like it was sonic welded together along the whole outer seam as well as some of the internal supports, so I don't think you'll be able to get it apart without some opening. Luckily it's not a very strong bond, so you can get the top off as a single piece if you're careful.
In the end the only slight issue I have is that recalling the presets doesn't seem to take into account the momentum of the travel. That means that you'll end up just a bit higher or lower than where you stored the preset. However that's a trivial thing to work around, you just need to move it a bit lower or higher than where you really want it when you first set your presets. Not really a big deal and totally something that could be fixed in FW.
Thanks Patrick! I do have an issue open on GitHub to get the memory a bit more precise based on the deceleration of the desk. I didn't want to rush this and ship out a bunch of units with buggy code. I've been running this code on my desk for 6 months give or take, so I was fairly confident it wouldn't cause any issues.
I will try to do a video on the disassembly. I broke off a notch so I could fit some debugging cables out of the case when I was reverse engineering the thing. I got tired of it being taped to my desk :)