Looking at previous reviews I can say the software has improved. I'm on a W10 machine, no crashes, lockups, or hanging. When I need sub 10uA reading I put a precision resistor in parallel with the load and do the arithmetic. I found one bug, see github issues, and it was fixed in a day. I have a uCurrent and a Current Ranger on my bench and the logging capabilities of the BattLab-One make it the go to device when working on low power projects. Should you call the sleep(100) or the deepSleep(100) function while waiting for the temperature sensor? That delay(100) is costing you more than you know.
Don't want to hand over your DMM7510 to the software guy, the BattLab-One is the solution. Doesn't matter how much time you spend sourcing that low Iq LDO if firmware isn't up to the task.
I hate to give a bad review. The hardware is well designed other than the 10 uA minimum for current which I knew about before buying it. 1 uA should be the target current. The PC software hasn't been working for me, i.e. locks up frequently with the exe image provided (I have to pull the USB cable and restart the program), I haven't been able to load all the python libs yet to run the latest script. It takes a long time to start, I'm thinking the code is walking though all the com ports to auto-detect, I would rather the program launch quick and have me select the port. I was hoping to at least use it to monitor (in real-time) to see the current profile (that would be worth $100) but this is not a feature of the current python script. The Digilent USB Discover with a current sense front end is what I normally use which is a great tool for current profiling (~$300). The Otti is also good also but more expensive (~$600). So the python script needs work I'm thinking of trying to update the python code. The hardware should have provided the JTAG connector since it is open source.
Thanks for the feedback. I've had another user just submit a Pull Request on Github for a similar issue with their com ports locking. i hope to have this in the next release if it checks out in testing. Have you tried not plugging in the BattLab-One, launching the software, plug in the BattLab-One then use the Refresh button to get a new com port and select it to connect ? You should see an example of this in the Quick Start Guide (also in the User Manual )
Regarding JTAG, if you want to program the MSP430, the RST, Test and GND are pulled out on the MSP430 header as shown in the link below with the caption MSP430 Programming Header.
For JTAG see the TI wiki here: https://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/JTAG_(MSP430)
Or you can just use a spare TI Launchpad to program the MSP430 if you have one lying about. Just connect Test to Test, RST to RST and GND to GND. No need for VCC as the MSP430 is powered already from USB. I use Code Composer from TI for the firmware development. The firmware is up on my Github site here:
As always if you are having issues, please submit a support request and I'm happy to try and track down any issues. https://bluebird-labs.com/support/
5 minutes after getting the BattLab-One I was able to uncover an unexpected power spike from a Bluetooth module in one of my projects! The software and setup is very straight forward. Looking forward to using it on other projects and verifying the fix on my Bluetooth project once I've found the bug.