Tapster is a robot for automating mobile applications on a mobile device.
- Simulates a human finger on a capacitive touchscreen device
- Open source hardware (BSD License)
- 3D printable
- Made with Bitbeam, an open-source 3D printable LEGO-Technic compatible building system.
- Programmed with Node.js + Johnny-Five + Arduino (Nodebots FTW!)
- Selenium WebDriver and Appium compatible
- Designed by the creator of Selenium, the popular browser automation tool.
- USB powered (5V)
- Tappable area is 140mm x 80mm (Ideal for Nexus 4, iPhone 4, or iPhone 5)
- Knows how to dance
Use Tapster to automate apps on mobile devices, such as iPhone or Android. If you're a software developer, any time you change a line of code, you need to check that every important interaction still works in the app on a real device. Sure, you can manually check things yourself, or have your friends and family do it for you a few times, but that gets old quickly. Life is too short for manual testing – have a robot do it for you!
Feb. 20, 2014, 4:05 p.m.
Can this perform swipes or zoom?
Feb. 22, 2014, 7:36 a.m.
Tapster can perform swipes. It can do zooming through simple double tapping of the screen.
Jan. 6, 2014, 7:26 a.m.
Do you plan to release a version for devices with bigger tappable area like iPad?
Jan. 13, 2014, 5:01 p.m.
I'm not ready to announce anything at this time, but it is a frequently asked question, and I do listen to all the feedback!
In the meantime, since Tapster is made with LEGO Technic-compatible Bitbeam you can extend your Tapster to test larger devices by either printing your own Bitbeam parts or using LEGO Technic pieces. I did this for a client last year.
Here's a photo of an extended-for-iPad Tapster: https://twitter.com/hugs/status/362702649210060800/
Oct. 28, 2013, 12:35 p.m.
Can it turn the phone sideways, to test landscape and portrait modes?
Jan. 13, 2014, 4:48 p.m.
No, at this time, Tapster does not rotate the phone. But that's a very good idea for future versions!
Oct. 22, 2013, 2:40 p.m.
Can the tapster activate the "Home" button on iOS?
Oct. 22, 2013, 2:48 p.m.
Yes, it can. :-)
Sept. 24, 2013, 11:12 a.m.
What's the turnaround time for these? i.e. if I placed an order soon, when could I expect it to arrive?
Sept. 24, 2013, 12:43 p.m.
The turnaround for Tapster is about 2 weeks to print, assemble, test, and ship your robot.
To process orders, I now own two 3D printers, and keep core components in stock (e.g. filament, electronics, and nuts & bolts, etc). I can turn around orders much faster than when I started selling on Tindie in 2012.
Aug. 2, 2013, midnight
How do you identify a test failure based on the interface to the device being mechanical?
Aug. 8, 2013, 5:47 p.m.
There are two ways to identify a test failure, one currently supported, and one that I am exploring.
1. The currently supported one is to use Appium (http://appium.io) and Tapster together. You use Appium to talk to your iOS or Android device via a tethered connection and introspect the screen of the device, finding elements and element properties. The Appium API leverages the Selenium WebDriver API (My professional experience includes kickstarting both the Appium and Selenium projects.)
2. In the future, I plan to support a camera mounted above the device, and use the OpenCV computer vision library for identifying elements on screen. The benefit of this camera + computer vision method is that it could support any device on any platform (not just iOS or Android) and is not dependent on specific platform APIs. The risk of this approach is that tests will be more brittle and expensive to maintain.
July 25, 2013, midnight
Hello, Could you provide us with the precision of the robot, repeatability, maximum speed? Thanks
July 25, 2013, midnight
I don't currently have numbers for precision and repeatability. However, as the project matures, I do expect to publish those kinds of benchmarks. For speed, Tapster currently uses Hitec 311 servos. More detailed information about their speed can be found here. http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-311_standard.html
Rates to United States
|Shipping Rate||First item||Additional items|